[UNLOCK ANSWER @10/PG]: Week 3: Knowledge Check Reflection: Evaluating Source Material
Inspired by activities found on page 462 of your textbook, please respond to the following prompt: Your readings this week claim that “most of the evidence that is used in arguments on public issues […] comes with considerable baggage” (p. 455). Find an article in a journal, newspaper, or magazine that uses evidence to support a claim of some public interest. It might be a piece about new treatments for COVID-19, internet privacy issues, dietary recommendations for school children, proposals for air-quality regulation, the rise in numbers of campus secual assaults, and so on. You are free to choose and topic of your choice but it must have a human interest/impact argument. Identify several specific pieces of evidence, information, or data presented in the article and then evaluate the degree in which you would accept, trust, or believe those arguments. Explain why you are inclined to trust or mistrust any claims based on the data while applying our source literacy and evaluation skills.
Download CRAAP Test Worksheet analysis as you evaluate your selected source.
Excellent Sources where you could easily find Summary Articles:
- The Atlantic, https://www.theatlantic.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- The American Scholar, https://theamericanscholar.org/ (Links to an external site.)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education, https://www.chronicle.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- The Players Tribune, https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- The New Yorker, https://www.newyorker.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- Time Magazine, https://time.com/ (Links to an external site.)
- Any other Academic Magazine, Pop Culture Magazine, Sports Writings, Human Interest Stories
- Reflection must meet a minimum of 500 words in length
- Original Title at the top of your reflection “Walker WK1 Reflection” is not original. Try and think outside of the box and pull something unique and individual from our weekly assigned readings
- Assignment will be Assessed using Knowledge Check Rubric