[UNLOCK ANSWER @10/PG]: week 12/2
Topic 12 DQ 2Jan 27-31, 2022
Define and summarize one of the following. Support your answer with two or three peer-reviewed resources.
- Pulmonary function tests, including discussion of how tests are ordered, why specific tests are ordered, and how the test results are interpreted.
- Thoracentesis, including discussion of the indications, lab tests needed prior to the procedure, and lab tests that can be ordered based on the resulting pleural fluid.
- Explain exudative versus transudative fluid with respect to pleural fluid.
- Describe a VATS procedure.
- Explain what atypical pneumonias are and how they are treated.
- Explain “amiodarone lung.”
- Discuss various sources that may serve as etiologies for asbestos exposure. Keep in mind that many patients are elderly, and some of their exposures no longer exist as a result of OSHA but can still create lung disease.
- Explain what chemical, pharmaceutical, or environmental exposures can be harmful to the pulmonary system historically and currently.
- Differentiate hemothorax and pneumothorax (including spontaneous and traumatic).
- Explain pneumonitis: how it occurs, presents, including imaging findings, is treated.
- Explain how COPD can result in a pneumothorax.
- Discuss indications for bronchoscopy and how the patient must be prepared for this procedure, including coagulation studies, readiness for sedation, and airway invasion.
- Explain the process of liberating a patient from a ventilator.
- Explain at what point a ventilator patient must be converted from an endotracheal tube to a tracheostomy tube.